Friday, June 29, 2018

Best Ever Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole With Pecan Crumble


Thanksgiving is ONE week away! So much yes. Growing up it was my second favorite holidays (Christmas being first of course). I always woke up early to set the table (always my job that I took very seriously) and help my mom out in the kitchen. Pure bliss. My favorite dish then and now (besides dessert) was/is the sweet potato casserole. Back then we used candied yams, lots of butter, sugar, brown sugar and marshmallows. It’s no wonder why it was my favorite! It basically was a dessert in itself.

With that being said, I wanted to create a grown up, vegan version of my beloved childhood favorite dish. Trust me when I say….I created my new favorite thanksgiving dish. The best ever vegan sweet potato casserole with pecan crumble. I cannot wait to serve this up to my family next week. I know they are absolutely going to devour it. If you’re looking for a sweet potato casserole recipe, look no more. This is it my friend!

This vegan sweet potato casserole comes together in around an hour and requires just 10 ingredients!

Ingredients:


  • 3.5 pounds sweet potatoes (about 10 cups or 4 large sweet potatoes)
  • 2 Tbsp vegan butter (or normal butter if not vegan)
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
  • ½ tsp vanilla
  • Pinch of sea salt & cinnamon (optional)

Topping

  • 1 cup pecans
  • ⅓ cup AP flour (or flour of choice)
  • ½ cup coconut sugar
  • 4.5 Tbsp melted coconut oil
  • Pinch of sea salt cinnamon (optional)

Instructions:


  1. Peel and chop your sweet potatoes into medium size chunks.
  2. Place in a large pot with water and a healthy pinch of sea salt.
  3. Bring pot to a boil then lower to medium/high and boil until sweet potatoes are fork tender (about 15 minutes).
  4. In the meantime prepare your crumble. Add all crumble ingredients to a food processor and pulse a until combined (or you can do by hand just make sure you use pecan pieces). It took me only 5 or 6 pulses. You still want chunks! Set aside.
  5. Get full recipe==>>nutritionalfoodie.com