Friday, June 29, 2018

Protein Packed Vegan Breakfast Burrito


If you’re vegan or are trying to be, I am sure you get asked the question, “how do you get your protein,” all the time. Am I right? I get asked this almost weekly, which is totally okay! I actually love answering the question because I get to enlighten people with all the proteins there are besides meat. Tofu, beans, lentils, quinoa, nut butter, hemp seeds & the list goes on! Most people have no idea protein is in these food choices. Minds are usually blown & opened. Absolutely love it!

I always try to start my day with eating a breakfast high in protein. Not only does it give me energy but it keeps me feeling full which is so very important. I probably whip up a tofu scramble at least 3 times a week which got me thinking why don’t I put it into a breakfast burrito? Sounded like a wonderful idea. Especially since I hadn’t had a “breakfast burrito” since before I stopped eating meat. Well, I just had to change that. Introducing – protein packed vegan breakfast burrito! Healthy + hearty + tasty. You are going to love these!

Ingredients:


  • ½ medium red onion (chopped)
  • 2 garlic cloves (minced)
  • 12 oz extra firm tofu (pressed, see notes)
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • ¼ tsp turmeric
  • ¼ tsp cumin
  • Sea salt & pepper to taste
  • ½ cup black beans
  • ½ avocado (chopped into small pieces)
  • ⅓ cup salsa of choice (I used pico de gallo)
  • 2 large whole wheat tortillas

Instructions:


  1. Place a medium sized skillet over medium heat and add your oil. Once heated add your onions & season with s&p. Cook until cooked down & starting to lightly brown (about 4-5 minutes). Add your garlic & cook (stirring constantly) for another minute.
  2. Add in your tofu (crumble it with your hands, see picture). Add in turmeric, cumin and another pinch of sea salt & pepper. Stir until fully combined. Remove from heat.
  3. Get full recipe==>>nutritionalfoodie.com